SENATOR KRISTINA KENEALLY
DEPUTY LABOR LEADER IN THE SENATE
SHADOW MINISTER FOR HOME AFFAIRS
SHADOW MINISTER FOR IMMIGRATION AND CITIZENSHIP
SHADOW MINISTER FOR GOVERNMENT ACCOUNTABILITY
SENATOR FOR NEW SOUTH WALES
SCOTT MORRISON’S “YEAR OF THE MATE”
Scott Morrison has been caught out handing out high-paying Government jobs at a rate of almost one job a week to his mates so far in 2021, while everyday Australians are being left behind.
Shadow Minister for Government Accountability, Senator Kristina Keneally, said Scott Morrison must explain why he is using taxpayers’ money like it's Liberal Party money.
“Scott Morrison thundered in Parliament at Christine Holgate for handing out a few watches, but he’s handed out millions of taxpayer dollars to over a dozen Liberal mates this year alone,” Senator Keneally said.
“Fourteen different Liberal Party mates got high-paying jobs thanks to Scott Morrison’s handy work so far in 2021, almost at a rate of one a week!
“Right now 2 million Australians can’t get a job or get enough hours at work, but one lucky mate of Scott Morrison’s - Alana Matheson - got appointed to a plum job at the Fair Work Commission until 2047.
“That’s a 26 year appointment worth $10 million. Unbelievable.
“Ordinary Australians can only dream of getting such job security and high pay.
“Explain yourself Mr Morrison: this is taxpayers’ money, not Liberal Party money for you to spend on your mates.
“The workers Scott Morrison has left behind - in tourism and aged care, in entertainment and hospitality, in Queensland and around the country - will be understandably angry. As Scott Morrison cut them off from JobKeeper and JobSeeker this year, he was spending taxpayer money to give his mates secure jobs and good pay.
“Morrison’s ‘Year of the Mate’ tells you everything you need to know about Scott - he’s on the side of his Liberal mates, not on the side of Australian workers.”
Scott Morrison’s jobs for mates so far this year include:
- Warren Truss reappointed as the Chair of the Australian Rail Track Corporation (April 2021) - Paid $166,290 (part-time role)
Federal National MP 1990-2016
Minister 1997-2007, 2013-2016
Deputy Prime Minister 2013-2016
- Mary Wooldridge appointed as the Director of the Workplace Gender Equality Agency (April 2021) - Paid $277,120 (full-time role)
Federal Liberal staffer 1999-2001
Victorian Liberal MP 2006-2020
Victorian Minister 2010-2014
- Sophie Mirabella appointed as a Commissioner of the Fair Work Commission until 26 October 2033(April 2021) - Paid $387,960 (full-time role)
Federal Liberal MP 2001-2013
- Alana Matheson appointed as a Commissioner of the Fair Work Commission to 13 June 2047 (April 2021) - Paid $387,960 (full-time role)
Liberal Deputy Mayor, Campbelltown City Council 2015-16
Member of NSW Liberal Party Executive 2014
Daughter of Russell Matheson, Federal Liberal MP 2010-2016, appointed a Member of the AAT from 16 January 2017 to 15 January 2024
- Kay Patterson reappointed as the Age Discrimination Commissioner (April 2021) – Paid $360,250 (Full-time role)
Liberal Senator for Victoria 1997-2008
- Bruce Billson appointed as the Australian Small Business and Family Enterprise Ombudsman (March 2021) - Paid $360,250 (Full-Time role)
Federal Liberal MP 1996-2016
Parliamentary Secretary 2004-2006
Federal Minister 2006-2007, 2013-2015
Censured by the House of Representatives 2018
- Nick Minchin appointed as the Independent Food and Grocery Code Reviewer (March 2021) - Paid $1,499 a day
Liberal Senator 1993-2011
Federal Minister 1997-2007
South Australian Liberal Party Director 1985-1993
- Tony Nutt reappointed as a Director of Australia Post (March 2021) - Paid $96,890plus $9,560 as a member of the people and sustainability committee (part-time role)
Federal and State Director of the Liberal Party
Federal and Victorian Liberal staffer
- Eric Hutchinson reappointed as the Administrator of Norfolk Island (March 2021) - Paid $304,830 (full-time role)
Federal Liberal MP 2013-2016
- Mathias Cormann selected as the Secretary-General of the OECD (March 2021) - Paid: 232,626 euros(approximately $362,000)
Liberal Senator 2007-2020
Federal Minister 2013-2020
- Nick Greiner appointed as Consul-General in New York(Feb 2021)
Federal President of the Liberal Party 2017-20
NSW Liberal MP 1980-1992
NSW Leader of the Opposition 1983-1988
NSW Premier 1988-1992
- Charles Wann appointed as Chief Operating Officer of the Department of Health (Feb 2021) - Paid $317,250-$398,030 (SES Band 3)
Chief of Staff to Scott Morrison as Social Services Minister
Senior Advisor to Scott Morrison as Treasurer
- Peter Conran appointed as a Member of the Sport Integrity Australia Advisory Council(Jan 2021) - Paid $800 a day
Long-term Federal Liberal staffer
Thanked by Brian Loughnane in his 2007 post-election NPC speech
- Jason Marocci appointed as a Member of the Sport Integrity Australia Advisory Council(Jan 2021) - Paid $800 a day
Long-term WA Liberal staffer
SUNDAY 2 MAY 2021